Wednesday, April 7, 2010

untitled as of now

So I don't know what I want to talk about today but I don't want to do just another stupid post about nothing.

I've been trying to think of something to write for a few hours now and nothing has really come up. But I just had the idea to write a short story right here right now. 300 words sound good to you? yeah me too.

You ran your thumb around your iPod’s click wheel, scrolling down through 180 GB of song titles without really seeing them. You weren’t actually listening to anything because your headphones were broken from chewing on the cord. That didn’t stop you from doing it now.

Instinctively stopping, you pulled the headphones out of the jack and jammed your iPod onto the beat up docking station, pressed play and jumped to your feet. You danced inappropriately fast to the song’s slow beginning, knowing it would match the upcoming tempo change, and sang along loudly.

By the first chorus there were tears streaming down your cheeks as you thought about me and how this song perfectly described our break up.

You know you messed up and there is no going back. Neither of us can forgive you and it hurts. It hurts so much that all you can do is scream the lyrics and thrash around in the darkness of your bedroom and you never want it to stop because it will mean that we are over.

But you suddenly find yourself on the bed sobbing as the song ends. You scream my name into your pillows and my face is all you can see.

And then I stop kidding myself, because I know you don’t care and I’m the one crying in my bed as my favorite song that was never really about my completely imagined relationship with you plays again.

Ok, so it took me hours to write that. I hope it makes sense. That it is all actually the narrator talking about what she is doing the whole time. It doesn't have to be a girl, that's just how I picture it in my head. The song is Bruised by Jack's Mannequin but again it could be any song that makes one feel like that.

Feed back please?

And in case you were curious, it ended up being 240 words.

No comments:

Post a Comment